Re: [wmx] XFree 4.0.2 and wmx break font display in some cases

Lasse Rasinen - Wed Apr 04 17:17:54 2001

Chris Cannam <cannam@all-day-breakfast.com> writes:

> Lasse Rasinen wrote:
>
> > However, other windows' tabs cause similar looking bugs.
>
> Now that's an interesting one, and it definitely suggests the
> problem might be intrinsic to XFree.  Could you try it with an
> overlap from some other shaped window -- perhaps the original
> classic shaped application, xeyes?  Indeed, if the problem is
> as simple as it looks, you should be able to reproduce it by
> overlapping xeyes against another window while running under
> another window manager than wmx.

I just did, something like 5 minutes before this mail arrived ;)
When I tried to reproduce this with the set of programs in XFree
distribution, I tried searching for some font related problem, and
naturally couldn't find any ;(

I did succesfully repeat the problem with twm + xterm + xeyes, so bug
report is going to the XFree right now (it's in the other mail buffer ;)

> > [...] have someone with more experience in
> > wmx shaped windows code [...] check that
> > there are no obvious bugs in the shape code
>
> Now that's easier said than done.  It's kind of complicated.
> (Did I need to say that?)  Definitely worth some experimentation
> with overlapping shaped non-wmx windows first.

Well, it's a good thing no-one has to do it, then ;)

> btw, is your video card anything unusual?

It's an oldish ET6000, but it's still a supported card, and AFAIK it's not
one of those "There are three cards in the world with this bug, and you have
to set the bits in video mode control register 42, 69 and 111 to 1 to
disable it. With a screwdriver" cards ;)
--
Lasse Rasinen
lrasinen@iki.fi

Next: