Re: [wmx] wmx multiheaded ... beta.

O'Shaughnessy Evans - Tue Apr 18 20:00:06 2000

Sven Oliver Moll <smol0999@rz.uni-hildesheim.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Since there's again some movement in this list, I want to announce that I've
> made wmx aware of multihead-displays. You know the ones: host:0.0, host:0.1,
> and so on. If anyone wants to try it out, I'd be glad. I'll release the final
> version probably at the end of may, since I'm moving to a bigger appartment
> next week (I need some space for the two 19" monitors ;-). (Does anyone else
> ever needed this feature? If so, please mail me.)

Ah, finally!  It was on my list of Things To Do, but I don't know much
about X so it stayed very low on the list :)  I've been using two monitors
for quite a while now.  twm will run on the second display just fine, so
I've been using that, but I'd love to have wmx instead.  As a matter of
fact, I was going to solicit the list for it this very day.  Nice timing :^)

> The features I'm missing right (and will try to implement) are seperate
> channels for each screen (right now if you switch the channel it'll change for
> all screen) and the possibitiy to move a window from :0.0 to :0.1 (please
> anyone tell me if and how this is possible - I haven't figured out a way yet,
> and don't think that this could be done, since no other wm I tried does it).

Separate channels for each screen makes more sense to me than the current
implementation.  My 2nd monitor usually keeps Netscape and IRC, and I
wouldn't really want to switch those when I switch desktops on my primary
display.

Have you considered allowing for separate menus on each display?
$HOME/.wmx could be used for single-headed displays and for a set
of common, display-independent menu items, and $HOME/.wmx-<display_name>
could be for extra menu items on each display.  So, for example, I
could have $HOME/.wmx, $HOME/.wmx-localhost:0.0, $HOME/.wmx-localhost:0.1,
etc.  Seems like it could be handy and it wouldn't get in the way of
current behavior.

> My beta is available at:
> http://www.uni-hildesheim.de/~smol0999/wmx/
> That'll also change for the release version.
>
> If there are other patches that should be included, feel free to mail them to
> me.

Howsabout if you just release patches against wmx-6pre1 instead of your
own entire distribution file?  (I should note, though, that Chris's
recent channel patch did apply nicely to your tar.)

--
= o'shaughnessy evans / Unix sys admin =

· "Premature optimization is the root of all evil."  -- Donald Knuth

Next: