Re: [wmx] Feature suggestion: a "Restart wmx" command

Jerronimo - Mon Aug 02 23:41:41 1999

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, James Ramsey wrote:
> --- Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@42.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 11:35:33AM -0700, James
> > Ramsey wrote:
> > Thinking of it, it mght be easily possible for wmx
> > to catch SIGHUP, and
> > restart itself then. Does this sound reasonable ?
>
> AFAIK, SIGHUP is the "hangup" signal. I believe it's supposed to be
> "nicer" then SIGTERM, I think. Maybe SIGUSR1 or SIGUSR2 could be used
> instead? I think that those are supposed to be used for whatever a
> given program wants.

generally SIGHUP is used to restart a daemon, or stop some.  It's pretty
widely accepted that you do whichever is appropriate for your application.

in the very least, apache's httpd reloads config files and re-starts the
server if you hit it with a SIGHUP.

It'd just be two extra calls to make it respond to all 3 signals above. :]

      Hey, you got weasels               /          Scott "Jerry" Lawrence
         on your face.                  /             sdlpci@cis.rit.edu
                                   \___/                www.absynth.com

Next: