Re: [wmx] Feature suggestion: a "Restart wmx" command

O'Shaughnessy Evans - Mon Aug 02 22:56:37 1999

Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@42.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 11:35:33AM -0700, James Ramsey wrote:
> > Of course, if doing an actual "restart-wmx" command is a mess, it
> > shouldn't be bothered with. The theming cat can also be skinned in
> > other ways.
>
> Thinking of it, it mght be easily possible for wmx to catch SIGHUP, and
> restart itself then. Does this sound reasonable ?

I really like this idea.  SIGHUP is definitely the Signal Of Choice, too.

On a related note, I just implemented something along these same lines like
this:

   1) Added a "[Restart wmx]" menu item just above "[Exit wmx]"
   2) Created functions in Manager.h:  setRestarting() sets a private
      variable to True when the restart menu item is selected.
      isRestarting() tests that value.
   3) Changed Main.C so that wmx exits with 1 when isRestarting() is True,
      and 0 otherwise.

   4) Finally, I make use of this value in my .xinitrc:

      wmx; restart=$?
      while [ $restart -eq 1 ]; do
          wmx; restart=$?
      done

I like the SIGHUP idea better, but this _does_ work.  If someone adds
SIGHUP support, I'd like to request that they add a menu item for it
as well.

--
O'Shaughnessy Evans

 "Through it all, NT and Unix people don't sit together at lunch very
  often, but then neither do children and adults.  Maturity of process
  and design can alienate people sometimes."             -- Duane Gran
        at http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/DuaneGran/DuaneGran2.html

Next: