] >Date Index
Re: [wmx] Feature suggestion: a "Restart wmx" commandO'Shaughnessy Evans
- Mon Aug 02 22:56:37 1999
Stefan `Sec` Zehl <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 11:35:33AM -0700, James Ramsey wrote:
> > Of course, if doing an actual "restart-wmx" command is a mess, it
> > shouldn't be bothered with. The theming cat can also be skinned in
> > other ways.
> Thinking of it, it mght be easily possible for wmx to catch SIGHUP, and
> restart itself then. Does this sound reasonable ?
I really like this idea. SIGHUP is definitely the Signal Of Choice, too.
On a related note, I just implemented something along these same lines like
1) Added a "[Restart wmx]" menu item just above "[Exit wmx]"
2) Created functions in Manager.h: setRestarting() sets a private
variable to True when the restart menu item is selected.
isRestarting() tests that value.
3) Changed Main.C so that wmx exits with 1 when isRestarting() is True,
and 0 otherwise.
4) Finally, I make use of this value in my .xinitrc:
while [ $restart -eq 1 ]; do
I like the SIGHUP idea better, but this _does_ work. If someone adds
SIGHUP support, I'd like to request that they add a menu item for it
"Through it all, NT and Unix people don't sit together at lunch very
often, but then neither do children and adults. Maturity of process
and design can alienate people sometimes." -- Duane Gran
- Re: [wmx] Feature suggestion: a "Restart wmx" command, (continued)