Re: [wmx] Resize idea

Michael Rogers - Wed Jul 21 17:47:59 1999

"Michael Rogers" <bastard_machine@hotmail.com> writes:

> dragging the tab/titlebar should resize the window (from the top left
> corner - the bottom right corner is held in place).

I suggest you try it out and see what you think.  Personally I
think resizing up and left is quite disconcerting behaviour;
resizing down and right seems far more natural (regardless of
where the resize handle is actually located).

At the moment I have half-hacked this into mosquito; the resize handle is at the top-left (actually it's the button), but resizing is still down and to the right. The problem with this is that you have to drag the pointer all the way across the window to the bottom right after starting a resize, before the window starts to expand. I guess I could warp the pointer to the bottom right when a resize starts, but I think pointer warping can be disconcerting. So I think all or nothing would be preferable - if the handle is at the top left, resizing should be in that direction.

> Also, as a newbie X programmer I'm wondering why the window manager has to
> reparent the windows that it manages?

ISTR it's so the manager can select events on the individual
child windows (as opposed to only on the root).  But you shouldn't
take my word for it, I've forgotten almost everything I ever knew
about programming window managers.

I might just have to make a mutilated version of wm2 and see if it works!

Michael Rogers