Re: [wmx] Resize idea

Owen Cameron - Wed Jul 21 13:25:14 1999

On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 09:19:55AM +0000, cannam did utter:

> Owen Cameron <nemo@nethouse.goldweb.com.au> writes:
> >
> > Opaque window move/resizes are so much horribly slower than
> > outline resize/move.[1] Is there an outline resize/move?
>
> No, and the disgraceful but accurate reason why is that opaque
> move/resize is really easy to code (and nicer, if your hardware
> is up to it) and I never made the effort to work out how
> outline move/resize worked.

pity, resizing opaque the Xterminal isn't exactly annoyingly slow,
so much as it's noticably faster with outline move/resizes in other
wmanagers... :)

> > (or how about having resize/move by opaque for the window
> > decorations, but not the window itself?
>
> Do you mean, though, that for move the border would have to
> disconnect itself from its window and move independently?
> Certainly even slower, given the implementation of borders.

pity, it would look very nice. ;)  Even just an outline of the window
decorations (this is the kind of think that wmaker 0.60 seems to do :)

One day I'll get wmx to compile under debian again and play with the newer
versions...  :/

/Nemo
--
 .---------[ Owen Cameron, Wombat, Paddington, nemo, earth native ]---------.