Re: [wmx] Resize idea

Owen Cameron - Wed Jul 21 00:32:52 1999

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 09:37:41AM -0700, Michael Rogers did utter:

> There have been some complaints on this list in the past about the
> triangular resize handle; I understand that it can cause problems with some
> terminal emulators (although I've never experienced this), and in my opinion
> it's kind of ugly. I have a suggestion for replacing the resize handle:
> middle dragging the tab/titlebar should resize the window (from the top left
> corner - the bottom right corner is held in place). I intend to use this in

Unfortunately, the bottom-right is generally a more obvious place to look for
resizing, and I know my own personal preference would be to keep it there.

The only problem I've ever noticed with it is that the triangle doesn't always
get redrawn properly, and so ends up as a black triangle in a white xterm...
but that's the limit to it. I also find the horizontal/vertical only resizes
from the edges of the window decorations more usefull. (especially with
xterms where I want to increase height, but not touch the width.

One thing I noticed last night though, was after accidentally finding myself
in wmaker, that it gave the illusion of being faster and smoother than wmx.
(though it's startup time is very slow by comparison)  ... and I realised
what it was. Opaque window move/resizes are so much horribly slower than
outline resize/move.[1] Is there an outline resize/move? (or how about having
resize/move by opaque for the window decorations, but not the window itself?
Something I don't think I've seen done really, but would be a very nice
effect - with a more standard outline shown within the moving border :)

/Nemo

[1] I'm on a remote Xterminal (1280x1024x1bpp display on a 21" moniter), and
all the clients run on my amd5x86/133 - I'm sure on newer machines opaque
resize/move woulnd't be noticed as slow ;)
--
 .---------[ Owen Cameron, Wombat, Paddington, nemo, earth native ]---------.
 |   http://www.goldweb.com.au/~nemo/  <nemo@net.house.cx>     UIN:#5408336 |