Re: [wmx] A newbie wants to know !

BALATON Zoltan - Sun May 30 19:31:58 1999

Hi,

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Niels Rasmussen wrote:
> I am almost shure that i have /usr/X11R6/bin in my path (i really dont
> know how to check it out ?) but all the programs in that library works
> fine when i activate them from rxvt!

You can check your path with the command 'echo $PATH'. That tells the
shell to print the value of the environment variable named PATH. Another
good way to check it is to type 'which makedepend' If it finds it then it
is in your path.

> Anyway, i have installed:
>
> XFree86-devel
> make
> gcc
> egcs-c++
>
> In order to make this thing work, but nothing works i still got a
> errormessage when i do "make", this time i get:
>
> ---SNIP---

You have to install glibc-devel and maybe kernel-headers too. If it still
gives errors then install libstdc++-devel as well.

> It might be a piece of cake for you guys to decipher this but for me its
> total nonsens ??

Well, for the first time it may be a bit confusing, but you will soon
learn it. If it's the first program you compile from sources then this is
normal. The second one will be easier and the third one will be no
problem.

> What devel-packages has to be installed?
> What has to be changed in the Makefile?
> etc. etc.

There is no easy answer for this. It depends on the situation. Though you
will need the development packages of those libraries that the executable
uses.  You may be able to guess from the dependency list of your binary
package.  You can query the dependencies of a binary rpm with the command
'rpm -q --requires <package-ver-rel.i386.rpm>'. This prints a list of
libraries that the package depends on. You have to find which packages
provide these libraries (try 'rpm -q --whatprovides <libsomething.so>')
and you will need to install the devel for these packages to recompile.

If all goes well you won't have to change the Makefile.

Greetings,
BALATON Zoltan

Next: