Re: [wmx] A newbie wants to know !

Andrew Chadwick - Tue Jun 01 12:00:24 1999

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 02:36:26PM +0000, Niels Rasmussen wrote:
> General.h:19: errno.h: No such file or directory

These header files live somewhere in the standard *-devel rpms, and possibly
you need kernel-headers too (depends on your system). Annoyingly I've just
switched to Debian, so I can't just look - but here's an algorithm:

  cd your-rpm-dir
  rpm -qlp [A-Z]*.rpm | xargs grep errno.h
  ... and then a binary search: [A-M], [G-M], [G-J] etc. :)

Now, there are probably better ways of doing this, but I can't remember the
rpm options very well...

> [root@linux wmx-5]#

Probably not a good idea to compile as root, by the way. Or do pretty much
anything as root.

> It might be a piece of cake for you guys to decipher this but for me its
> total nonsens ??

Don't worry - it'll make sense soon. Hang in there! If you need any more
help or if you have any further questions, I'll be happy to help in depth by
private mail.

> But let me reword my question:
>
> If you guys out there had Redhat linux release 5.2 (apollo)
> installed what would you do to install wmx-5 ??

As far as I know, there are no binary RPMs of wmx-5 available at the moment.
Um. In answer to your question, I'd get down a copy of the latest developer
snapshot of wmx5 from http://www.42.org/~sec/wmx/, tar xzf it to somewhere
convenient, and type

  ./configure
  make

> What devel-packages has to be installed?

For wmx, because it's such an unbloated window manager, all you'll really
need are a compiler, the standard developer headers, the X library stuff and
the headers for libxpm. This is a lot less than most other window managers.

> What has to be changed in the Makefile?

Not a lot - the new ./configure should take care of all of that for you, and
provide lots of lovely feedback if it can't find what it needs.

Some Linuces are distributed with a broken makedepend; if you get complaints
from it, try removing everything below the '## --do not remove--' line, as
well as any depend targets.

	Andrew
--
the 'King chip reat We whit my this station cause darling my but is to
ther this is agrey acces a ling to get and] Wher clowere's except five

Next: