Re: [wmx] A newbie wants to know !

Andrew Reilly - Sun May 30 01:49:03 1999

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Niels Rasmussen wrote:
> [root@linux wmx-5]# make
> makedepend -- -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -- *.C
> /bin/sh: makedepend: command not found
> make: [depend] Error 127 (ignored)

This says (in reverse order) that the make command failed because the
"depend" target could not be made.  The "depend" target could not be made
becuause the shell (/bin/sh) could not find the command "madedepend".  The
shell was looking for makedepend because the make file includes that as the
rule to make the target "depend".

So, the question is why couldn't your shell find makedepend?  Do you have
/usr/X11R6/bin in your PATH?  Makedepend is part of the X11
(XFree) distribution, rather than part of the usual compiler set.  You
might find that you have to install an "X developer" component to your
linux distribution, or it might just be missing from your path.

--
Andrew

Next: