Re: [wmx] OpenGL problem..

Teemu Voipio - Fri Feb 08 00:18:54 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 12:16:34PM +0000, Damion Yates wrote:
> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 12:16:34 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Damion Yates <damiony@rd.bbc.co.uk>
> To: tvoipio@cc.hut.fi
> Cc: wmx@42.org
> Subject: Re: [wmx] OpenGL problem..
>
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Teemu Voipio wrote:
>
> > I have following problem with OpenGl applications:
> >
> > The framerate is normal when the application does not have input focus.  As
> > soon as it gets input focus, the framerate drops to a third or something.
> >
> > I think this might have something to do with the "grip" in the bottom-right
> > corner of all windows. Anybody had similar problems ?
>
> This is a documented feature of the grip, I believe you can configure wmx to
> not have it at all.  It's mentioned as slowing the Xterm redraw if you don't
> have a wide left scrollbar.  I also get it with windows 3d OpenGL apps, and
> simply dragging the window a few pixels off the left of the screen fixes it,

Hmmh.. got to try that trick..

The grip also has the following issue: the content under those two lines
is not updated and after channel switching is usually from the
background image. It would be nice to have the resize even without the
grip though, if possible.. i'll see what I can do.

> > PS. I'll go on by removing that "grip" thing (two lines) temporarily..
>
> Oh, I assumed it was on the Config.h, I'll bother checking now.. No it's not,
> actually the README says to try a different terminal emulator :)

both Xfree86 (4.1 & 4.2) default xterm and aterm (latest I think) work
with me without any problem at all.. and i'm using no scrollbars at all.

> I normally use 3d apps in fullscreen which sort out any problems like this,
> but could you let us know which lines you found so I have the option.

Actually, I had some trouble finding out where the code is, but I'll
continue investigating..

If I manage to make a patch I'll send it here (?) even if it will be
against a crossbreed of Wmx-6, the old gnome-patch and my "PieMenu"-hack
probably doesn't matter for this though..

> I've seen your following email, and that doesn't tally with what I've
> experienced.  I find it IS related to the resize grip, but it doesn't bother
> me it's eating in to the actual X window so it's not surprising that would
> happen, I wouldn't consider this a fault.

True, it was another issue I had why it didn't work when I tried without
wmx..

--
 - Teemu Voipio <tvoipio@cc.hut.fi>
    Mystran  ==  my very own nick @ IRC  ==  god's gift to net