Re: [wmx] OpenGL problem..

Teemu Voipio - Fri Feb 08 18:06:36 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:07:24AM +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
> Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 08:07:24 +0000
> From: Chris Cannam <cannam@all-day-breakfast.com>
> To: tvoipio@cc.hut.fi
> CC: wmx@42.org
> Subject: Re: [wmx] OpenGL problem..
>
> Teemu Voipio wrote:
>
> > my "PieMenu"-hack
>

> You have pie menus in wmx?
>
> I'm quite a fan of pie menus, particularly when your pointing
> device isn't a mouse -- for example, they work well with those
> laptop nipple-type pointing devices.  But I've never found them
> much use with dynamically-generated menus, because the menu
> items move around each time the menu is generated.  And it's
> hard to get the items placed well within the menu, as different
> lengths of text label have different ideal placements.  Since
> the only menus in wmx are dynamically-generated, I never saw
> much point in trying to implement pie menus, but I'd still be
> very interested in knowing about it if someone else has.

Actually this probably won't work with non-relative pointing devices
since it uses warp.. but it's quite simple code..

It replaces the startmenu with a box, that has "Menu->" in the right
and "term" in the bottom.. up and left are still empty for i haven't
found what should be there.. moving mouse to right just brings you the
normal menu, and moving below the box and releasing the key will give
you a new terminal..

so when I say warp, i mean that the pointer is warped to center
everything either the piemenu or the normal menu is drawn.
Actually.. if pointer doesn't support warp.. then from the left part of
screen you can get a menu, and from the bottom part a term..

I can send you the source if you want, but i won't send to list
since it has some size and is not quaranteed to work.

It's kinda nice .. takes one new class and about 2 lines changed in
existing code to add this..

--
 - Teemu Voipio <tvoipio@cc.hut.fi>
    Mystran  ==  my very own nick @ IRC  ==  god's gift to net