Re: [wmx] cant make wmx-5

Stefan `Sec` Zehl - Fri May 14 04:01:48 1999

On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 05:38:25PM -0700, Jon Hofmann wrote:
> I would like to run wmx-5 on my newly set-up Red Hat 5.2 Linux machine.
> Is this possible? (The README said "Unix" and I assumed "almost Linux")

I know of at least one porson who has wmx running on a redhat box, but i
cant tell which version.

> I have been able to set up my X server and run fvwm so far.

> How can I tell if my "X server and libraries are R4 or newer and support the
> SHape extension?" I just read the README distributed with the "wmx-5" release
> and am trying to install it, but have run into some trouble.

Your server very probably supports the shape extension, all xfree-based
servers support it, afaik.

> g++ -o wmx Border.o Buttons.o Channel.o Client.o Config.o Events.o Main.o Manager.o Menu.o Rotated.o Session.o -L/usr/X11/lib -lXpm -lXext -lX11 -lXmu -lSM -lICE -lm
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lXpm: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [wmx] Error 1

It can't find the Xpm lib. Most probably it is not in '/usr/X11/lib' on
yout system. (I'm quite sure you have it, since fvm needs it, too)

You might try the 'sec4' snapshot featuring an configure script which
tries to find the correct Path by itself, or you can manually edit the
Makefile to point to the correct location (You need a file called
libXpm.so)

> Any help would be appreciated,

HTH,
    Sec
--
UNIX for the masses: <!--#exec cmd="/vmunix.cgi" --> -- Seen in the sdm.

Next: