Re: [wmx] clock

Jason Smith - Thu Apr 29 17:46:40 1999

here is a gross hack that I used to accomplish said task...

It updates a clock in the menu every 30 seconds and if selected, runs
asclock

-----------8<--- cut here ---8<---------------

#!/usr/bin/perl

$P=`date  +"%I:%M"`;
`echo "#!/bin/bash\nasclock -12" > "/root/.wmx/$P"`;
`chmod 755 "/root/.wmx/$P"`;
sleep (30);
`rm "/root/.wmx/$P"`;
exec ("/root/scripts/time");

-----------8<--- cut here ---8<---------------

this is of course not a very good way of doing things but it took me all
of 8 seconds to write and I dont use it very often....

however... if my "time"waster is of any use to anyone else I would love to
share it

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Owen Cameron wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 08:16:37AM +0200, Arnaud Dutartre wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > do you think it would be great to have a clock in the title bar.
> > I think that just before the title (departe with blanks) it may be
> > good....
>
> Personally, I like the unix style philosophy of a single tool for a single
> task, and do it well...
>
> and while having a clock incorporated into wmx might be usefull at times,
> and heaven knows I don't object to more clocks around the place (I have
> one in my bash prompt) ... I would persodnally disable a clcok if one were
> built into wmx...
>
> Again, IMHO, if you DID want to decode a clock into wmx, then at he top of
> a menu would be better than part of the titlebar... :)
>
> > Does anyone looked at 'pie menus' : see this if you didn't already
> > http://art.net/~hopkins/Don/piemenus/index.html
> > Strange idea but why not ....
>
> pie menu's are really only a good design for a menu that isn't going to
> change. so it's not practical for a window-list menu IMHO - though for an
> application list menu, it'd be pretty cool.  Apart from a brief glance at
> an early version of UDE, I've not really played with pie menus, though
> I've seen a few screenshots around hte place too :)
>

> I like hte idea, but hey, I'm only a user - not a coder... ;)
>
> /Nemo
> --
>        [ Owen Cameron, Wombat, Paddington, Nemo, earth native, Tribble ]
>    [email]   arzb@tbyqjro.pbz.nh                        [smail] P.O Box 578
>    [WWW]     http://www.goldweb.com.au/~nemo/                     Belconnen
>    [ICQ/UIN] nemo/5408336                                         ACT  2616
>    [goofey]  tribble                                              Australia
>    [Quote]
>    Disclaimer: Use of advanced messaging technology does not
>    imply an endorsement of western industrial civilization

Next: