Re: [wmx] Resize-thingy-bug

Jason Smith - Mon Apr 19 22:19:43 1999

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Michael ROGERS wrote:

> >> But those skeletal borders look so cool :)
> >
> >You dont abolish them altogether... just when not in use.. it could be
> >configurable to preferences...
>
> I don't quite understand what you're proposing. Would you have one focussed
> window (with border etc) and the rest without borders unless the mouse (or
> mouse + hot key) was over them?

yes, and no... you would be able to choose. I myself would rather that the
window borders were never displayed unless I used the HotKey. That way I
have a noninvasive way of seeing titles and resizing and such

> >> It would be tidy, but you wouldn't be able to see the titles of unfocussed
> >> windows - this might be a pain.
> >
> >sure you would... hold down the hot key and move around the mouse... or
> >use the context menu on root win, this is no worse than current
> >implementation and better in the way of configurability
>
>  I guess this would be good for packing a lot of windows onto your screen. It
> might be better if mouse + hot key popped up a box similar to the geometry box
> containing the window title (otherwise the handle might appear under another
> window and you'd have to leave a gap for it, defeating the purpose of hiding
> it in the first place). This kind of ties people to click-to-focus, though
> (not that I mind personally).

the gaps arent necessary, as I said the titlebars would be there on a
temporary basis, not really hiding any information (except in the pursuit
of mroe relevant information in the context). The focus behavior does not
have to change because the hotkey simply provides you with context
sensitive information. (it serves a specific purpose)

> >> I've never had it cause any problems either (other than redrawing the edge
> >> of the triangle but not filling it). However I understand from the README
> >> that it can cause problems with xterms (perhaps because it overlaps the
> >> terminal window and needs to be redrawn every time the terminal scrolls).
> >
> >Chris noted to the list that it was indeed a bug, however it has never
> >"bugged" (teehee) me.... I always use xterms
>
> I haven't had problems with xterms either. Strange.

this has got to be one of the longest threads on the list...

>  - Michael Rogers

Next: