Re[2]: [wmx] Compile Errors in WMX-6 with gcc 3.2 and intel C++

Andrew Fant - Mon Sep 23 21:29:07 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:12:59 +0300 Teemu Voipio <mystran@joutomaa.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 02:16:40PM -0400, Andrew Fant wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:16:40 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: Andrew Fant <andrew.fant@tufts.edu>
> > Subject: [wmx] Compile Errors in WMX-6 with gcc 3.2 and intel C++
> > To: wmx@42.org
> >

> > When I try to compile wmx-6 ( or patch level 1) under g++ version 3.2 I
> > get the following error:
>
> What is this "patch level 1", as I never heard of it ?
> I have my self patched with a gnomepatch that I ported from earlier
> release and a "move window from any part by pressing meta" patch but
> compiles clean with these and from fresh release 6..

Patch Level One is the development version found on the website in
wmx-6pl1.tar.gz.  I tried it thinking someone might have found the problem
already and fixed it, but no such luck.  I didn't add any patches myself

> > c++ -c -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include Menu.C
> > Menu.C:625: default argument given for parameter 3 of `
> >    CommandMenu::CommandMenu(WindowManager*, XEvent*, char* = 0)'
> > Menu.h:92: after previous specification in `
> >    CommandMenu::CommandMenu(WindowManager*, XEvent*, char* = 0)'
> > make: *** [Menu.o] Error 1
> >
> > under intel C++, I get the following variant:
> >
> > icc -c -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include Menu.C
> > Menu.C
> > Menu.C(623): error: redefinition of default argument
> >   CommandMenu::CommandMenu(WindowManager *manager, XEvent *e,
> >   ^
> >
> > compilation aborted for Menu.C (code 2)
> > make: *** [Menu.o] Error 2
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this error before, and if so, does anyone else
> have
> > any suggestions about how to deal with it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >         Andy
>
> Nope, works on gcc2.95.3, GNU/Linux, glibc2.2, i686 =)
>
> But I remember seeing something similar with some other project some
> day, can't recall what it was.. try adding a "#define NULL 0" in Config.h
> or some other place, and if such a define exist, try removing it..
>
> It might be that having a pointer argument default to 0 causes
> problems.. workaround would be to define another "wrapper" function
> (like one would do in java I think)..
>
> If you can give any details on your system it would help a lot..

This is a straight install of gentoo 1.4rc1.  The null redefinition didn't
help, because NULL appears to be defined in multiple places.  Fortunately,
I think I may have the problem fixed.  -fpermissive in CXXFLAGS is a good
thing.

Thanks for your input,
                Andy

Next: