Re: [wmx] Slight menu annoyance (and comments on related stuff)

cannam - Mon Aug 09 11:07:09 1999

James Ramsey <jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com> writes:

> > I tend to feel that the "look" should be runtime and
> > the "feel" be compiletime.
>
> I pretty much agree with you on that myself.

Other way around.  The main justification for runtime
configuration in the first place was that a single instance
of wmx (in /usr/local/bin, say) might be used by several
people, and they may each quite reasonably want different
feel.  Look was not an issue.  If you're happy to waste
time fiddling around with the look of your window manager
every other day, it's not unreasonable for you to take the
time to recompile it.  Or else find a manager that
encourages you to waste your time that way; there are
certainly plenty of them.

Hey, that's just the way I feel.  But there are plenty of
things in wmx already that I would never have wished for;
that's the point of open-source development.

> Do you think you could actually patch wmx to use X resources?

No doubt someone could.  The X resource "database" was always
one of the most overengineered and unworkable parts of X though;
it'd be a pity to have to go back to it after all these years.
Not that I can suggest a much better solution, if you must have
a generic config file.

Chris

Next: