Re: [wmx] Slight menu annoyance (and comments on related stuff)

James Ramsey - Mon Aug 09 07:30:54 1999

--- Owen Cameron <nemo@nethouse.goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 09:45:55AM -0700, James
> Ramsey did utter:
> >
> > --- Lasse Rasinen <lrasinen@iki.fi> wrote:
> > >
> > > On related news, I've seen lots of requests
> trying
> > > to make wmx have
> > > everything "civilized"[1] window managers have.
> > >
> > > 1) Dock.

> > I agree with you as far as the dock is concerned.
> It does seem highly
> > unnecessary to me.
>
> While I admit I didn't realise that wmx did sticky
> windows already when I
> proposed the dock before, in my defence I would have
> proposed it anyways.

It's ok. If wmx had a dock, those who didn't want the dock would just
compile it out. It certainly would do no harm.

> > > 2) Lots of configurability. Am I the only one
> here
> > > who finds some perverse
> > >    joy in having to recompile after every
> change?
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Frankly, I think a good balance would be to have
> enough runtime
> > configurability to customize what can be
> customized in wmx with a
> > minimum of trouble, while not so much as to siphon
> too many resources.
> > Offhand, I don't think that realistically that
> really constitutes "lots
> > of configurability", but I guess that depends on
> how you look at it.
>
> I tend to feel that the "look" should be runtime and
> the "feel" be
> compiletime. So fonts, colours, pixmaps, maybe even
> border width are "look",
> while channel-switching-delay,
> close-button-kill-delay, hotkey setup, etc
> are all "feel".

I pretty much agree with you on that myself. Feel-related stuff is not
likely to be changed on a whim, while looks are the sort of thing one
does change on a whim.

> In the same thread though, I would have to say I
> prefer Xresources over the
> symlink hack though. Just from a "standard method"
> perspective... :)

Do you think you could actually patch wmx to use X resources? I
actually tried to. I got my "fix" to compile, but I couldn't get it to
link. Whether it would have worked, I don't know, because I was getting
in over my head. My only previous experience with C++ was an
introductory class, and my "fix" was a cobbling together of what
learned from a couple of my dad's O'Reilly books, plus what I learned
from lwm's and blackbox's code. :-[ Maybe you or someone else could
give it a try? Any takers?

===

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----