Re: [wmx] Resize-thingy-bug

O'Shaughnessy Evans - Thu Apr 15 20:44:08 1999

Michael ROGERS <M.Rogers@cs.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> ----================================ <-- Frame "hovers" away from window like
> |[]| |-----------------------------#     it currently does for unfocussed
> |  | |                             #     windows (just looks cool).
> |  | |                             [
> \  | |                             [ <-- Right and bottom of window have thick
>  \ | |                             [     frame (instead of left and top).
>   \| |                             #
>      ##===========================## <-- L-shaped resize tab at bottom right.
>
> # = Single-plane resize tabs at top right and bottom left (as now).
> [] = Button.
>
> (The thick frame (including the resize tabs) and the button disappear when
> the  window loses focus, to indicate which window has focus (as now).)
>
> This layout would get rid of the problems caused by the triangular tab, and
> would hopefully look just as good as the current layout.

Hmm.  This could be good -- not sure if I'd rather have the thick frame
or the current behavior of filling the hover gap.  Guess I'll have to
see it to decide.  In either case, though, it's not a real big deal to
me -- I like wmx regardless :)

> I also had a few changes to wm2's behaviour in mind (other than those related
> to Gnome compliance). These are:
>
> * Right clicking on button to kill window (instead of left clicking and
> waiting).
>
> * Right clicking on resize tabs to maximize the window in that direction
> (right clicking on the L-shaped tab would maximize the window in both
> directions). Right clicking again would restore the original size.

This would be very cool!

> I'd be happy to merge these changes back into the non-Gnome versions of wm2
> and wmx if anyone's interested.

As you've probably noticed, I'd like to see 'em in wmx.  I don't use
anything Gnomish, so wmg itself (or whatever you're going to call it)
won't impact me much.  Good to see development on the wm* front, though.

--
O'Shaughnessy Evans
Admin & Developer @ Artemis Management Systems, Inc.

 "The future masters of technology will have to be lighthearted and
  intelligent.  The machine easily masters the grim and the dumb."

Next: