Re: [wmx] Quick Keys for Keyboard Menu

Sven Oliver Moll - Sat Feb 06 15:31:15 1999

Hello again!

On 5 Feb 1999, Lasse Rasinen wrote:

>Erm. It's not my keyboard code, I've just posted improvements to it ;)
Oh, er, right. I'm sorry, but the improvements are REALLY handy and replaced a
lot of hacking with xmessage.

>Anyway, a small nit:
>
>> +#define CONFIG_QUICKCLIENT_MENU_KEY  XK_F12
>
>> +	} else if ((key == CONFIG_QUICKCLIENT_MENU_KEY && c)
                                                      ^^^^^
>> +		   && CONFIG_WANT_KEYBOARD_MENU) {
>> +	    ClientMenu menu(this, (XEvent *)ev);
>> +
>> +	} else if ((key == CONFIG_QUICKCOMMAND_MENU_KEY && c)
                                                       ^^^^^
>> +		   && CONFIG_WANT_KEYBOARD_MENU) {
>> +	    CommandMenu menu(this, (XEvent *)ev);
>> +
>>  	} else if (ev->state & CONFIG_ALT_KEY_MASK) {
>>
>>  	    if (key >= XK_F1 && key <= XK_F12 &&
>
>What if you have 12 channels? Then there'd be hell to pay. On the other
>hand, Chris Cannam made the same argument when I suggested using Alt-Fx
>for channel swapping, so there ;)

Hmm that's something to think of. The Sun Keyboard's F11 & F12 are mapped as
SunF36 & SunF37 anyway, so something like CONFIG_HAVE_SUN_KEYS might do the
trick. Or IMHO also worth a thought: Why not use F11 & F12 for QUICK Keys on PC
Keyboards an restict the quick channel to 10? I've never used more than 4
anyway (except for the time I got bored and opened 125 ;-)

But, there's another glitch (marked with ^^^^^): the '&& c' should not be used
there, since it's not used on a window, but on the whole desktop including
the windows.

>OTOH, I'm not using those quick keys anyway. The buttons on the right are
>far too precious to waste. Imagine, 8 (10?) extra buttons, so you don't
>lose any buttons some other apps might be coveting, like Alt-Right/Left on
>Netscape and Alt-<whatever> on Emacs. I want one on my PC too.
I haven't seen any other app using the Sun-Keys but the Xview/Openwin/CDE Apps
(ol(v)wm, shelltool, etc.) so I'd rather have the keys bound to usefull stuff
of the wmx.

>> By the way: I'm not so good at the menu code, but how about moving [Exit wmx]
>> from the client menu to the command menu? It makes more sense there, imho.
[...]
How 'bout selectable via CONFIG_*?

>Wonder if Chris will still recognize wmx when he gets back?)
>Next, themes and Gnome/KDE compliance and a real config file and ... ;)
*grin* CDE is supported already. Maybe we should stop coding the binary reaches
a size of 100K ;-)

On Solaris 2.6:
-rwxr-xr-x   1 smol0999 rz          82280 Feb  5 16:09 /usr/local/bin/wmx

But I'm running into other problems with the Keyboard code: I'm using the stuff
in all directions: On Linux, Solaris 2.6 (both x86 and sparc) woth local X and
with xdm. So many diffrent keyboards :-( It's not possible to set up a
configuration that work on all systems, so I'm porting Config.C to a Keys.C
that can put up the keys in similar way. I guess it'll be finished at the
beginning of next week, and I'm releasing it as a tarball, not a patch, since
it's already based on a heavily patch wmx, and it would be difficult to gather
all those patches to get a "full-featured" version.

Greetings from lil' old Germany,
SvOlli
--
  _______
 (  /\           | The weapons you pick up alone the road help.

Next: