Fwd: [pm_groups] Perl booth on non-Perl events (esp. CeBit - Hannover)

Richard Foley - Wed Feb 17 09:21:11 2010

FYI for anyone in Munich who can pass this on to any Perl people in
Hannover ?-)

ps. the hannover.pm link is a dodo: http://hanover.pm.org/

--
Richard Foley
Ciao - shorter than aufwiedersehen

http://www.rfi.net/

Subject: [pm_groups] Perl booth on non-Perl events
Date: Tuesday 16 February 2010
From: Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com>
To: PM Groups <pm_groups@pm.org>

Some of you might know that we had a very successful Perl stand on
FOSDEM in Brussels, Belgium.
Many people came by asked questions. Several people commented:

"It is good to see Perl is alive"

Next month we are going to have a booth on CeBit in Hannover, Germany.
While it is a very different crowd I am really looking forward to see
how it will work out.

I am writing this here as I think it would be extremely important for
the image of Perl to have similar presence on many further events
around the world and that's where the various Perl Monger groups can
help: If you are planning to attend a technical conference in the
coming few months then please consider actually setting up a Perl
booth there. Such stand can increase your communication with the
various other visitors as well and it can boost the image of Perl.

The Perl Foundation has financed our presence on FOSDEM and CeBit by
500-500 USD to buy things to give away. (post cards, round tuits etc)
I hope that it will be able to offer similar budgets for other events
as well.

So please write to the Perl Monger group you are running and ask
around who might go to such event and encourage them to join the
events group that coordinates this stuff.

http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?events

BTW it is worth looking at what the Debian people are doing
http://www.debian.org/events/

regards
   Gabor
   http://szabgab.com/