Fwd: [pm_groups] YAPC::EU::2010 Newsletter #01 2010/01/25 - The when, the where, the who and some thank you!

Richard Foley - Tue Jan 26 10:13:02 2010

FYI :-)

--
Richard Foley
Ciao - shorter than aufwiedersehen

http://www.rfi.net/

Subject: [pm_groups] YAPC::EU::2010 Newsletter #01 2010/01/25 - The when, the
where, the who and some thank you!
Date: Monday 25 January 2010
From: Michele Beltrame <mb@cattlegrid.info>
To: pm_groups@pm.org

Hi all,

greetings, and welcome to the very first YAPC::EU::2010 newsletter!

Summary

    In this issue:

    * Conference theme
    * Conference dates
    * Venue
    * Tickets and availability
    * Sponsors
    * Contacts

    So let's get started!

§ Conference theme: The Renaissance of Perl
    The conference theme is the Renaissance of Perl. This topic pays homage
    to Italy's role as the cradle of the Renaissance, and acknowledges how
    Perl is far from a dead legacy language, but is constantly being reborn
    with, for example, the parallel initiatives of Perl 6, and the Modern
    Perl 5 movement.

    (note: we know that these days it's the Perl Enlightenment, and that
    Perl Renaissance was around 2001-2004, but we're in Italy, not in France
    :) )

§ Conference dates
    We are now able to confirm the tentative dates published on Twitter some
    time ago:

    YAPC::EU::2010 will be held from 4 to 6 August 2010.

    We expect sunny and warm Summer days, so don't forget to bring your
    solar protection!

§ Conference venue
    Our primary venue turned out to be a no-go... but that's OK, because we
    had a Plan B! Our secondary venue turned out to be a no-go as well...
    but even this is OK, because we had a Plan C!

    The conference will be held in:

    My One Hotel Pisa Conference Centre (
    http://www.myonehotel.it/eng/galilei/default.asp )

    Rough map: http://bit.ly/8FN64F

    This venue also has 4-star hotel rooms at a reasonable price, many of
    which are reserved for the conference. It's therefore possible to sleep
    there, which - besides making the venue only an elevator ride away - is
    an ideal choice for after-conference BOF, hackatons, etc. On the other
    hand, the place is a bit outside downtown and uneasy to reach via public
    transport, so if your idea is visit Pisa and/or have some late-night fun
    you might want to choose a place to sleep closer to downtown.

    Shuttles will be provided, running from downtown Pisa, for the
    conference. Hotel shuttles are available from the (nearby) airport.

§ Tickets and availability
    This venue should be able to hold 400+ people, so there's no attendance
    limit at present time. Registration will be open on Act, as usual, as
    soon as we have a catchy website layout.

    Ticket price will be announced in the next newsletter.

§ Sponsors
    We have already had a great deal of fantastic initial support from some
    lovely people:

    * Shadowcat Systems UK, agreed to support us even before our bid was
    accepted!
    * YEF themselves have offered a "kickstart donation" to help with
    early-stage costs
    * And the almost unfeasibly lovely hosts of YAPC::EU::2009 in Lisbon
    have also given a kickstart donation!

    This really shows how organizations, both commercial and charitable, in
    the Perl world are dedicated to ploughing their time and money back into
    the community. YAPC::EU::2010 wouldn't be possible without help like
    this!

    We'll be placing an official call for sponsors very soon, but if you
    can't wait for our next newsletter, please get in touch, and we'll be
    delighted to discuss!

§ Contacts
    Twitter: http://twitter/yapceu2010

    Website: http://www.yapceurope.org/2010/

    E-mail: yapc-info@perl.it

All the best,

   - Michele Beltrame
     on behalf of Italian Perl Conference Team
--
Request pm.org Technical Support via support@pm.org