Don't mess with your system-administrator :-)

Tobias Henoeckl - Thu Oct 13 14:55:16 2005

Actual letter of resignation from an employee at Zantex Computers, USA,
to her boss, who apparently resigned very soon afterwards!

Dear Mr. Baker,

As a graduate of an institution of higher education, I have a few very
basic expectations. Chief among these is that my direct superiors have
an intellect that ranges above the common ground squirrel. After your
consistent and annoying harassment of my coworkers and me during the
commission of our duties, I can only surmise that you are one of the few
true genetic wastes of our time.

Asking me, a network administrator, to explain every little nuance of
everything I do each time you happen to stroll into my office is not
only a waste of time, but also a waste of precious oxygen. I was hired
because I know how to network computer systems, and you were apparently
hired to provide amusement to myself and other employees, who watch you
vainly attempt to understand the concept of "cut and paste" for the
hundredth time.

You will never understand computers. Something as incredibly simple as
binary still gives you too many options. You will also never understand
why people hate you, but I am going to try and explain it to you, even
though I am sure this will be just as effective as telling you what an
IP is. Your shiny new iMac has more personality than you ever will.

You walk around the building all day, shiftlessly looking for fault
in others. You have a sharp dressed useless look about you that
may have worked for your interview, but now that you actually have
responsibility, you pawn it off on overworked staff, hoping their
talent will cover for your glaring ineptitude. In a world of managerial
evolution, you are the blue-green algae that everyone else eats and
laughs at. Managers like you are a sad proof of the Dilbert principle.
Since this situation is unlikely to change without you getting a full
frontal lobotomy reversal, I am forced to tender my resignation, however
I have a few parting thoughts.

1. When someone calls you in reference to employment, it is illegal for
   you to give me a bad recommendation. The most you can say to hurt me
   is "I prefer not to comment." I will have friends randomly call you over
   the next couple of years to keep you honest, because I know you would be
   unable to do it on your own.

2. I have all the passwords to every account on the system, and I know
   every password you have used for the last five years. If you decide
   to get cute, I am going to publish your "favorites list", which I
   conveniently saved when you made me "back up" your useless files. I
   do believe that terms like "Lolita" are not usually viewed favorably
   by the administration.

3. When you borrowed the digital camera to "take pictures of your
   Mother's birthday," you neglected to mention that you were going to
   take pictures of yourself in the mirror nude. Then you forgot to
   erase them like the techno-moron you really are. Suffice it to say
   I have never seen such odd acts with a sauce bottle, but I assure
   you that those have been copied and kept in safe places pending the
   authoring of a glowing letter of recommendation. (Try to use a spell
   check please; I hate having to correct your mistakes).

Thank you for your time, and I expect the letter of recommendation on my
desk by 8:00 am tomorrow. One word of this to anybody, and all of your
little twisted repugnant obsessions will be open to the public.  Never
f*** with your systems administrator. Why? Because they know what you do
with all that free time!

Wishing you a grand and glorious day

Next: