something to think about ...

Markus Wennrich - Fri Apr 30 10:55:59 1999

The American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican
village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.  Inside the
small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented
the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch
them.

The Mexican replied, only a little while.

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.

The American then asked, "but what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my
children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each
evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and
busy life."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you.  You should
spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat with the
proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you
would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a
middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening
your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and
distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village
and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run
your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15-20 years."

"But what then?"

The American laughed and said that's the best part.  "When the time is
right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public
and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions..  Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing
village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids,
take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where
you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

--
nick@schoko.org                   http://www.schoko.org/~nick/

He who drinks fast pays slow. (Ferengi ROA 91)

Next: